Vault Server email notifications to non-standard port?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

rab

Vault Server email notifications to non-standard port?

Post by rab » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:04 pm

Due to restrictive policy settings we are no longer able to send emails from our server via port 25.

Is it possible to configure a different port :?:

Regards,
Rob Barnes

GregM

Post by GregM » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:12 am

I didn't have to do this for Vault, but I've had to do it in the past for other programs. As I haven't tested it with Vault, I don't know if it works this way or not.

There is a text file that is used to map protocols to port numbers. This affects everything on the system that does it the "right" way. It's located in %WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc\services (services is the filename, it has no extenson)

Find this line:
smtp 25/tcp mail #Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
and change the 25. (You can make a copy of the line with a # before it so you can go back to the original value later.)

#smtp 25/tcp mail #Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
smtp 1024/tcp mail #Simple Mail Transfer Protocol

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:21 am

If you have email settings configured in the Vault Admin Tool, some additional lines appear in the Vault.config file, one of which is:

<SMTPPort>25</SMTPPort>

You should be able to change the port number there.

Haven't tried Greg's suggestions.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

GregM

Post by GregM » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:42 am

Since Vault does have that ability built in, editing the services file shouldn't be necessary. It probably wouldn't even work, since it is a configured value.

rab

Post by rab » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:47 pm

lbauer wrote:If you have email settings configured in the Vault Admin Tool, some additional lines appear in the Vault.config file, one of which is:

<SMTPPort>25</SMTPPort>

You should be able to change the port number there.
OK, I tried that. Firstly if I edit that value by hand it gets set back to 25 whenever I edit the e-mail properties using the Admin program. Secondly when will the manually edited value take effect? I did change it by hand but it didn't start working immediately, do I have to restart the Web service?

Regards,
Rob Barnes

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:16 pm

Yes, a server configuration change requires a restart. Run "iisreset" from the command line.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager