Forcing a File to be Treated as a Binary Not Text

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Ocean10000

Post by Ocean10000 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:36 pm

I have been testing Vault to manage the version of templates files used to Generate Legal Documents. There are two Files used to makeup a Template, the RTF (word Doc) and CMP (Component file). I noticed the CMP is treated as a text file (at least in the diff tool), but this should not be the case. Is there a way that I can force it to be treated as a binary an no tranformation to be done to it on checkin. (The CMP Files does not change often, but I can not afford my versioning having bad data in there if I have to revert) I think End of Line tranformations are being done but not 100% sure. The Directory with the templates currently have about 1,500 Files in there and will be growing larger as time goes by. I am currently using the Vault Client & server v3.1.7.3719.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:24 pm

EOL transformations shouldn't be happening if your client is running on Windows, since that is the default (unless you've changed the EOL settings for individual files to be something other than the windows default). What causes you to believe the files are being transformed?

In any case, there is a list of file types defined in the Vault Admin tool in the Repository Options pane. Files are treated as binary by default unless the extension is in that list, so if .cmp is on the list, remove it.

Ocean10000

Post by Ocean10000 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:02 pm

I had a corruption in one of my checkins to the cmp file. The only thing I seen different was as line feeds/returns were added. Looking back my guess is one of my coworkers might of opened in notepad and saved it accidently. And I only caught it while testing some time later.