Get Latest Version fails for global.asax.* files

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

anotherlab

Get Latest Version fails for global.asax.* files

Post by anotherlab » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:17 pm

I'm having a problem with Vault 3.1.7.3719 (Server & Client) where I can check out most files, but I get the following error for some specific files:

An exception was encountered during the get latest operation. Exception: The Vault server could not be contacted to perform the operation. Your network connection to the server may have been interrupted. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

This happens if I try to get latest on the folder or on the specific files that throw the error. Executing the same command through the vault.exe command line app produces a similiar error. I can provide the stack trace for that error message from vault.exe if you need it.

The client was on Windows XP SP2 connected to the Vault server running on Windows Server 2000. I'm connected over my home's broadband ISP provider to my office through a VPN connection. When I try to do a get latest on of the files that will not come over, I get the following message:

2/9/2006 10:29:11 PM] Getting latest version of $/VersaTransGPS/VersaTransGPSWS/Global.asax.cs
[2/9/2006 10:29:12 PM] Finished get latest of $/VersaTransGPS/VersaTransGPSWS/Global.asax.cs
[2/9/2006 10:29:12 PM] An exception was encountered during the get latest operation. Exception: The Vault server could not be contacted to perform the operation. Your network connection to the server may have been interrupted. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

On the server side, the log file for the same period has the following:

----2/9/2006 10:29:12 PM millerc--bdog2k(10.0.0.113)--SSL Disabled Getting repository Structure-> Rep ID: 7 Base: 7199 Target: -1
----2/9/2006 10:29:12 PM millerc--bdog2k(10.0.0.113)--SSL Disabled TreeManager: cache matches repository revision and folder security hasn't changed. Returning cached tree, revID 7199
----2/9/2006 10:29:12 PM millerc--bdog2k(10.0.0.113)--SSL Disabled VaultServiceAPI::GetRepositoryTreeDelta() UserID:3 RepID:7 Base:7199 Target:7199 Calling VaultRepUtil.DiffRepTrees() - in-memory tree diff.
----2/9/2006 10:29:12 PM millerc--bdog2k(10.0.0.113)--SSL Disabled GetRepositoryStructure returned: Success
----2/9/2006 10:29:12 PM millerc--bdog2k(10.0.0.113)--SSL Disabled Getting list of checkout changes.
----2/9/2006 10:29:12 PM millerc--bdog2k(10.0.0.113)--SSL Disabled GetCheckOutListChanges returned: Success

I had to restart IIS to enable the debug logging, the problem is persistant and repeatable.

Doing a "Show History" on those files fails too. I get the message:

The Vault server could not be contacted to perform the operation. Your network connection to the server may have been interrupted. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

The same action performed on the other files that I am able to get the latest versions does display the history as expected.

This is only happening when I connect remotely. When I connect from within the office (I am testing both at the same time), everything works correctly. The problem occurs when the "Use chunked encoding" is set or cleared.

It seems to be happening to specific files: Global.asax, Global.asax.cs, and Global.asax.resx. The same problem occurs in multiple folders. Different files, but with the same name.

I apologise for the length of this post, but I figured you would want all of this information.

thanks,
Chris Miller
VersaTrans Solutions, Inc

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:41 am

This is only happening when I connect remotely.
Since the operations work locally, then Vault itself seems to be operating properly -- there appears to be some sort of network or configuration issue.

Is this a new problem? Were you ever able to do these operations remotely on these files?

Do you have a proxy, personal firewall, anti-virus program that might be interfering with the get?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

anotherlab

Post by anotherlab » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:15 am

We just upgraded from 2.0.6 to 3.1.7, this was the first time we tried to get those files remotely. I don't recall having this problem with 2.0.6. The problem is not specific to my computer, I am duplicating a problem that was reported by one of our remote employees.

No proxy, just a VPN connection using SonicWall.

The AV is Norton AV 2003. I tried disabling it and that did not have any affect. I also set Norton AV to ignore directory that has contains that source code, no affect on the problem.

I'm not running a personal firewall, just the firewall in my home router.

When I run the command line vault.exe get command for one of those files, I get the following error message:

<vault>
<!-- An exception was encountered during the get latest operation. Exception: The Vaul
t server could not be contacted to perform the operation. Your network connection to th
e server may have been interrupted. Please verify your network settings using the Optio
ns dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.The underlying connection was clo
sed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. -->
<error>
Exception of type VaultClientOperationsLib.GetLatestVersionFailedException was thrown.
</error>
<exception>
VaultClientOperationsLib.GetLatestVersionFailedException: Exception of type VaultClientO
perationsLib.GetLatestVersionFailedException was thrown.
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.ProcessGetFileRequests(GetFileInfo[] infos
, MakeWritableType makeWritable, SetFileTimeType setFileTime, MergeType merge, Boolean u
pdateHiddenFilesOnly, String ancestorFullPath, Boolean flat, String ancestorDiskPath, Ov
erwritePrompt PromptData, Boolean isLabelGet, String currentPathToLabelItem, Int64 label
ID, Boolean isRetry, Boolean isGetByDisplayVersion)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Get(VaultClientFile[] files, Boolean force
Latest, MakeWritableType makeWritable, SetFileTimeType setFileTime, MergeType merge, Ove
rwritePrompt PromptData)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Get(VaultClientFile file, Boolean forceLat
est, MakeWritableType makeWritable, SetFileTimeType setFileTime, MergeType merge, Overwr
itePrompt PromptData)
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.performGet(ArrayList strItemArray)
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.ProcessCommandGet(ArrayList strItemArray)
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.ProcessCommand(Args curArg)
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.Main(String[] args)
</exception>
<result success="no" />
</vault>
Chris Miller
Tyler's VersaTrans Solution

anotherlab

Post by anotherlab » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:39 am

It turned out to be a firewall rule that was applied to the server, not on the client. The IDS policy was to not allow any access to the global.asax file over port 80. I ask our IT Manager to disable that rule and everything worked. The firewall is part of our Sonicwall device that also manages the VPN connections.
Chris Miller
Tyler's VersaTrans Solution