Multiple Checkout merge conflict detection

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Anand

Multiple Checkout merge conflict detection

Post by Anand » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:44 am

I have a project which allows Multiple Checkouts. 2 users checked out and modified the same file. 1st user checked the file in. When the 2nd user tried to check-in the same file, a merge conflict was detected and the external merge utility was opened. However, instead of merging and checking-in the file, the 2nd user did not merge and also did not check in the file.

Now, the next time the 2nd user tried to check in the same file, instead of getting the merge conflict, the 2nd users file was directly checked in, resulting in a loss of 1st user's changes.

Is this a bug with SourceOffsite? How do I avoid this situation?

I am using SourceOffsite 3.5.3 and VSS 6.0a

Thanks,
Anand

corey

Post by corey » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:37 am

Unfortunately, the problem occurs in the SourceSafe Automation component, which the SOS Server must use for interacting with the VSS database. The first time a check in is attempted but there is a conflict, the VSS Automation component refuses the check in, but on a second attempt, the VSS Automation component just overwrites the file.

In SOS 4.0, we try to do a better job of warning the user that this overwrite will happen on the second attempt, but otherwise the behavior is the same.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC