Integration with Araxis Merge 6.5

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Macromullet

Integration with Araxis Merge 6.5

Post by Macromullet » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:38 am

I like your diff tool that ships with the product, but in version 3.1.6 it has a small bug where it shifts the text of the compared lines to the left a little bit. I have a license for Araxis Merge so i was going to try to integrate that into the vault client, but I cant seem to get it to work. I saw a post from linda bauer a while back on the regular forums about integration, and she just said she used no parameters for the diff, and the defaults for the merge and it worked, but it definitely doesnt work using that suggestion for me using the vault client v. 3.1.6 and Merge 6.5.2172

Do you have the parameter list for using Merge and/or is there a fix for the sourcegear diff tool to prevent the diffed lines from being shifted to the left?

dan

Post by dan » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:06 am

Can you provide a screenshot of the shifting so we can see the issue?

To get Araxis to work, you'll need to provide it with the right parameters (such as left file, right file, etc). Press Help from the Tools->Options->Diff/Merge screen and look for the diff variables within Vault that can be used to send parameters to Araxis

Macromullet

Post by Macromullet » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:27 am

Here is a screenshot of the alignment issue
Attachments
mergebug.JPG
mergebug.JPG (169.82 KiB) Viewed 6780 times

dan

Post by dan » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:38 am

Can you post the files you are using for this merge, so we can see why it is displaying the lines that way? There may be an issue with white space (e.g., tabs vs spaces, and tabs being interpreted as a different number of spaces.

Note that you can control how many spaces per tab in Tools->Options->File Display, and that may resolve the issue.

Macromullet

Post by Macromullet » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:20 pm

I think i got it. We migrated from VS.NET 2003 to VS.NET 2005. We have files that were previously created in VS.NET 2003. We use tabs for indentation. In VS.NET 2005 they changed how tabs work, so a tab by default becomes 4 spaces (a good thing IMHO). Therefore, when we edited .cs files VS.NET 2005 would auto-format the new areas, and tabs would change from literal tabs /t to 4 spaces.

That combined with the fact that the vs diff tool treats tabs by default as 8 spaces from what i could tell led to our issue.

Make sense?

Macromullet

Post by Macromullet » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:21 pm

On a side note, for araxis i was really just wondering if you had integrated the two before hand had the command line strings ready from a previous support incident or from anyone within your company that might use it or from anyone that might have asked the question before. If not, i'll eventually go through the mapping and post it here.