Severe problems upgrading 3.1.5 to 3.1.7

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

rwoodruf

Severe problems upgrading 3.1.5 to 3.1.7

Post by rwoodruf » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:53 am

I am having very severe problems upgrading vault from 3.1.5 to 3.1.7. When attempting to upgrade, I get several SQL exceptions one of which states that 'sgvaultuser' is not a valid user for database 'sgvault'.

Further, after going back to the database, I noticed that the user is no longer a user for the 'sgvault' database and that the database has switched into 'single user' mode.

Then, the 3.1.5 vault application states that it can't access the database.

Next steps
1. Add the 'sgvaultuser' as user to the database
2. Take the 'sgvault' database out of 'single user' mode
3. Connect via Enterprise Manager to the database using the 'sgvaultuser'

The steps worked successfully. I am still not able to log into vault via the client, admin tool or web but decide to run the upgrade again. The following things occur:

1. The upgrade fails stating that 'sgvaultuser' is not a valid user for database 'sgvault'
2. The 'sgvaultuser' is removed as a user to database 'sgvault'
3. The database has been switched into 'single user' mode
4. Developers are no longer able to long into source gear via the Vault Client
5. I am not able to log into vault via the admin tool
6. I am not able to log into vault via the web interface although it does come up.
7. There is no information in the C:\temp\sgvault log folder.

Upon attempting to log into the vault via the admin tool. I get the following error:

The Vault Server could not establish a connection to the database. Please check the server's log for detailed information. (FailDBConn)

I have switched the logging from Quiet to Debug but am still not getting anything in the log folder. I have switched loggins in both the Web.Config and Vault.Config to 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\log' to avoid any problems with rights and privileges.

This is an absolutely urgent problem. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-- Rodney
Last edited by rwoodruf on Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rodney J. Woodruff
Senior Technical Architect
Ziff Davis Media, Inc

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:00 am

If the installation had problems, it is probably safe to say the database was not upgraded correctly as well.

Since time is of the essence, let's try this:

1) Find the vault_install.log file on your Vault server. This is usually in %TEMP%. Save a copy of that, and send it to tech support for post mortem analysis.

2) If you did NOT make a backup of the sgvault database before the upgrade, make one now.

3) Make sure no user is currently in the sgvault database or using Vault.

4) Uninstall the Vault server on your server. Make sure you answer the prompt to KEEP the database.

5) Install the Vault server. When prompted to log in to SQL Server, make sure to use an account with ADMINISTRATIVE rights on the SQL Server. Also answer the prompt to KEEP the database.

6) After the installation completes, try the Admin Tool.

We'll stay posted for the results.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

rwoodruf

There is nothing in the Add/Remove programs Control Panel

Post by rwoodruf » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:14 am

I can't find the vault software in the Add/Remove Programs control panel. Is there some other way to remove the application and there is no vault log file anywhere on my hard drive. However, the sgvault folder was created in C:\temp.

The database has been successfully backed up.

Thanks for your help.

-- Rodney
Rodney J. Woodruff
Ziff Davis Media, Inc

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:45 am

Are you logged in as the same user who performed the original install? The server will only show up in add and remove programs if you are logged in as that same user. The vault_install.log file *should* will be in the install user's temp directory (%temp% -C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp). Also, you should be logged in as an admin user to perform the install/upgrade.

The installer puts the database in single user mode so no-one can change anything in the database while the database upgrade is happening. If something happened during the upgrade process and the database upgrade wasn't able to finish that is why it is still in single user mode.

Try running the 3.1.7 installer again. Hopefully it will either install in upgrade mode or it will ask if you want to remove or modify the current installation (if you are asked if you want to remove or modify the current installation remove it, but make sure to KEEP your database when prompted then run the 3.1.7 installer again). If it fails again, send us the vault_install.log file. You should get a log file if you at least got to the "connect to database" dialog in the installer.

You can use the email button at the bottom of this message to send the log file to me directly.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

rwoodruf

Resolved by hook or crook

Post by rwoodruf » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:36 am

I was able to verify via my
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp
directory that I was indeed logged in as the same user who did the original install of 3.1.4 as well as the upgraged to 3.1.5.

I looked at the
vault_install.log
from when I upgraded from 3.1.4 to 3.1.5 and saw that I could uninstall the server from the command line. Now, this may not be a recommended approach but here is what I did to resolve my problem.

1. I uninstalled the vault server via the command line because it didn't show up in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. I ran CommandAction.exe /uninstall=1
2. The normal prompts appeared and I was able to keep my existing database and complete the uninstall.
3. I then installed 3.1.7 and kept my database. However, it did not ask me if I wanted to back up my database. Fortunately, I'd followed your directions and ask my DBA to back it up before performing the uninstall/upgrade.
4. I then installed the client tool and was able to connect to server.
5. I was also able to eventually install the Admin tool and was able to connect with it as well.

Thanks for all your help.

-- Rodney
Rodney J. Woodruff
Ziff Davis Media, Inc

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:10 pm

Glad to hear that you got it working.
1. I uninstalled the vault server via the command line because it didn't show up in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. I ran CommandAction.exe /uninstall=1
Are you referring to the "customactions.exe" command? If so, this command runs the un-install portion of custom actions (which does the sql stuff and removes the virtual directories etc.), but it does not run the .msi part of the un-installer (Just FYI). If you were able to install 3.1.7 after this without uninstalling the .msi first, then windows installer didn't think that 3.1.7 was installed, so the original 3.1.7 install was probably rolled back.
3. I then installed 3.1.7 and kept my database. However, it did not ask me if I wanted to back up my database. Fortunately, I'd followed your directions and ask my DBA to back it up before performing the uninstall/upgrade.
This is normal. The installer readme says you should make a backup of your databse before installing, but the installer doesn't make a backup it for you.

I can add that as a feature request though :)
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

rwoodruf

I misread the install directions

Post by rwoodruf » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:39 pm

I misread this quote from the online install manual:
If you are upgrading an existing Vault server, first backup your Vault database before beginning the installation. You can do the backup via SQL Server backup, or from the Vault Admin Tool, in the Backup pane
I incorrectly interpreted Vault Admin Tool to be Vault Install Tool.

Thanks for all your help and a request for being able to backup your database during an install/upgrade would be great.

-- Rodney
Rodney J. Woodruff
Ziff Davis Media, Inc