RememberLogin not working if Windows user changed

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tri

RememberLogin not working if Windows user changed

Post by Tri » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:49 pm

Vault Server + Client 3.16

How does the RememberLogin work in the Vault Command Line Client (CLC)?

Q1- Does it remember forever? i.e. if the server, user/pwd are never changed, are they kept indefinitely?

Q2- Are the info kept encrypted somewhere in the build machine?

Q3- It seems like the login info are not kept when the current Windows user is changed.

Example: I logged in the build server (Win 2003) as User1, I ran Vault RememberLogin. I could get latest OK without specifying the login info. I then log off Windows 2003 and log in with another User2, run get latest and this time the CLC returns an error asking for host, user, pwd.

Q4- Can you please advise the good practices for using the RememberLogin option?

Thank you very much in advance.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:15 am

RememberLogin stores its info in the local client cache in a text file (password and username are encrypted). Where to store the cache is determined by the locally logged in user (in docs & settings/local settings/app data), so yes, that cache file will be in a different place if you login as someone else. The file is kept around until you use the FORGETLOGIN command.

Tri

Post by Tri » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:24 am

Is there any reason to remember the login info under a specific user context?

For example: CruisControl.NET runs under Local System account. The various GetLatest.cmd could be invoked by Nant tasks (via Win2003 scheduler) or manually by the current logged in user.

Can you advise a way to use RememberLogin to accomodate all these situations?

dan

Post by dan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:15 am

You can copy the remember login file to the Vault cache of the user logging in, and it should work.

For example, copy C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Application Data\SourceGear\Vault_1\Client\vault_cmdline_client_session.txt

to

C:\Documents and Settings\Local Service\Local Settings\Application Data\SourceGear\Vault_1\Client

If you've logged to Vault already under a system account, the Vault cache folder should already be there.

GregM

Post by GregM » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:39 am

Tri wrote:Is there any reason to remember the login info under a specific user context?
Yes, so that multiple users can use the same computer.