VS 2005 Crashing during Get Latest

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

jmarsch

VS 2005 Crashing during Get Latest

Post by jmarsch » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:28 pm

I am having a problem with Visual Studio 2005 crashing during a get latest. I have posted to MS's bug tracking web site, but their response was to check with Source Gear.

(I am using Vault version 3.1.2 client and server, but I have been able to reproduce the problem on a test setup that is using a version 3.1.6 server and client).

Here is what happens:
I have a VS 2005 solution with one web project, 18 class library projects, and one WebDeploy project (the web project and class lib projects are C# projects). All of the projects are in Vault.

If I work within the VS IDE for a while, then right click on the Solution node (root) of the solution explorere tree, and select "Get Latest Version", Visual Studio crashes.

There will be a several second delay (which is expected, it's sort of a large project), then VS just exits. No error message, no Dr. Watson dialog -- the main window just disappears, and devenv.exe no longer appears in the process list in task manager.

This usually happens after I have been working in the IDE. Usually the work around is to re-open the IDE, open the project, and then immediately perform a get latest. I haven't figured out what activity I am doing that puts the environment into a state where get latest will fail, but but it doesn't seem to take very much.

I figured that you would need a log file, and I have tried to enable Vault's logging options, but I cannot seem to get logging to work (either no log file is created, or I am looking in the wrong place for it). Also, no messages appear in the System event log.

Here is what I have done to attempt to enable logging:
Edited devenv.config in the Vault Client program files directory.

I have attached the devenv.exe.config file that I am using, did I set something incorrectly? Are there some specific classes that you want for me to log? ( renamed the file to devenv.exe.config.txt so that the bulletin board sofware would permit the attachment).

I attempted to locate the file by typing "%TEMP%" in the address bar of windows explorer. It took me to my "Documents and Settings\my user name\Local Settings\Temp" directory, but no log file was created.

I tried closing and re-opening the VS IDE, but still no log file

This problem is affecting at least 2 people on my team, so it is not limited to my machine. My machine is XP, SP2, with all of the latest patches. I do not do "trick" configurations with my development box, so it is pretty much a "stock" Windows XP configuration.
Attachments
devenv_exe_config.txt
(renamed from devenv.exe.config)
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 732 times

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:36 am

Thanks for the detailed information. I have attempted to reproduce this issue with no luck, so I have some additional questions for you. You are correct, a log file would also be very beneficial.

Was this solution converted from VS.Net 2003 to VS 2005? If you view your Pending Checkins dialog and perform a "get latest" command, the dialog will disiplay information in regards to this. Could you verify if the process stops at the same location every time?

Below is a link that will help you create both normal client logging and Visual Studio IDE logging:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... t=log+file

Once you are able to reproduce the problem, please e-mail me the log files to Tonya@SourceGear.com. Please include the project name and any other information that may be helpful.

Thanks,

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear

jmarsch

Crash issue: having problems with logging

Post by jmarsch » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:10 pm

Thank you for your reply, Tonya. I am still having problems getting logging to work. The special IDE logging (registry key based) seems to be working, but I am not having any luck with the devenv.exe.config based logging. I have enableLogging set to true, and classes set to "all", and all of the other true/false params set to true. I have scanned the local drives of my machine for any file named vault*.txt, and I checked the system event log, in case vault was unable to open the log file -- no luck.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:36 pm

I am unsure as to why this file isn't being created. Have you attempted to perform any operations from within Visual Studio to create the file? You may want to check and make sure that you have permissions to write to the directory that the file is being created. If you are still unable to produce the file, go ahead and send me the IDE logging file. This file contains more information in regards to the client logging and holds more pertinent information anyway.

Thanks,

Tonya

jmarsch

Post by jmarsch » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:13 pm

Unfortunately, I haven't spent much time with my development environment today, so I have not yet logged a crash.

As far as the devenv.exe.config issue goes: I don't know what is going on. I have performed operations that should result in a file (get latest version).

I had thought that perhaps I had a setting misspelled or something, so I opened the VaultGUIClient.exe.config and turned logging on in that file. When I did that, the Vault Client began logging just as expected.

Next, I copy-pasted the config section from the gui client config into the devenv config. I still don't get any logging (Each time I alter the config, I close VS and vault, to make sure that the config is re-read).

At this point, I am fairly confident that I have entered the configuration correctly (or else the gui client would not be logging), but I am not getting the log. If anything changes, I'll let you know, and I will send you a log as soon as I get a crash.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:56 pm

Thanks for keeping me posted. I will be alert for an e-mail from you with the log file.

Thanks,

Tonya

jmarsch

Crash log

Post by jmarsch » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:28 pm

I have a crash. Here is the IDE log.

I can also tell you exactly what is going on with my not being able to get part of the logging working.

Just out of curiosity, I started up Visual Studio 2003, and opened an old source controlled project that has not been upgraded. The log file showed up immediately.

It appears that Vault is not creating an IDE log if I am using it from Visual Studio 2005.

I have attached the log file that I did get.
Attachments
VaultLog.txt
(70.5 KiB) Downloaded 879 times

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:38 pm

Thanks for reporting this information to us. I will verify this issue with the log file and log it in our bug database. I did receive the VaultLog.txt file and I am researching more into your problem.

Tonya

jmarsch

Checking back

Post by jmarsch » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:23 pm

Hello:

I am just checking to see if there is any news with this problem. I know that you probably do not have a very good log of the events.

Is there an updated version of Vault on the way that fixes the logging bug? Is there some way to get Vault to log for VS 2005?

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:48 am

Vault logging with VS2005 should work, as we have it working here. The problem might be that there is already a devenv.exe.config in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE folder where VS2005 is invoked. If so, it will use that one, so make sure that is the one that is edited. If not send me the file again. I noticed in your previous posting of the log, that "classes" didn't have a value, but that later you set it to all, which should work fine.

In any case, we would likely need to reproduce the problem here to address it. Can you send us the solution it is happening on, or a pared down version of it, along with the steps to reproduce?

jmarsch

Logging

Post by jmarsch » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:15 pm

I did find another devenv.config, so I will try that. Are there some specific class names that I should log?

As to the solution:
It is a large solution, and I will not be able to send it to you as-is, due to intellectual property issues (we're a software company -- the source is for a product that we will sell).

A description of the solution:
All C#, all under source control
17 class library projects
1 Web deploy project
1 Web project -- the web project is a large one, organized with multiple folders for web pages, and multiple folders below the App_Code folder

The class library and web projects were converted from vs 2003, the web deploy project was added after the conversion to 2005.

The web project is configured to use local IIS

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:01 pm

We don't need the full solution or the actual contents of the files, so if you could pare it down to something that doesn't have IP in it but still exhibits the problem, send that to us, and it would increase our chances of finding the problem.

jmarsch

Post by jmarsch » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:05 am

What needs to be in there? We have over 2,200 .cs files in the solution, so carving out the IP manually probably isn't a reality for us.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:31 am

Anything you can send us that reproduces the problem will suffice. Since you can't send IP, you'll need to pare it down to a point where there is no IP in it, then we'd be able to proceed.

If you keep a copy of the whole solution, then remove whole projects at a time and can still reproduce it, then it can get pared down to the project causing the problem, and you can send us the last saved version that exhibits the problem. Likewise with files, you can delete them until it no longer has the problem, and then send us the version before that with the problem in it.