Unable to download all projects from Vault after VSS import

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

CSkardon

Unable to download all projects from Vault after VSS import

Post by CSkardon » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:49 am

Hi there,

We've just got Vault as a replacement for VSS, but I'm having a bit of trouble trying to get the import I've just done to work properly.

The import itself seemed to go fine, no errors at all, but when I then open VStudio (2003) and goto SourceControl -> Open from... etc I select the base project folder and it starts to retrieve the projects in the solution.

The solution we have has 136 projects inside, but for some reason 5 of them can't be retrieved, these just show the error:

"The open from source control operation has failed for this project. Close and re-open the solution to be prompted again to open the project from source control."

I have done this, but to no avail, always these projects are not loaded. I can't see what the difference is between them and the others in the repository. If I look at the repository I can see the projects all have local copy 'missing' (as I sort of expect if it can't get them via VStudio).

I then tried 'Get latest version' of each of the missing projects, in essence this loaded up the projects into the solution so they weren't missing like before, but a check of the SourceControl bindings said they were invalid, and as such I had to work with them disconnected.

Is there anything I can do on this? I don't really want to lose the history associated with these projects.

Thanks

Chris

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:44 am

If you have the solution on your machine, you can try rebinding the project with "Change Source Control."

See this KB article about bindings in imported projects:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=3953

The second set of steps (project already imported) would apply to your situation.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

CSkardon

My Solution

Post by CSkardon » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:23 am

Hi,

I was unfortunately not able to follow the bottom steps as the projects weren't downloaded, so I solved my problem doing the following:

1. Reconnect to VSS, get a latest version into a working directory,
2. Open Solution, unbind all the projects from VSS.
3. Reset Vault as my default SCC
4. Add the now unbound solution to a new repository in Vault (MYSOLUTION_NOHISTORY)
5. Exit Visual Studio
6. Get the broken latest version from Vault (i.e. the one with the history) into a working directory.
7. Close Visual Studio
8. Copy the files in the NoHistory working directory over the files in the History working directory.
9. Reopen Visual Studio to see if the projects are bound correctly (they are - yey)
10. Exit Visual Studio (Saving all changes)
11. Using Vault Client, Check in all changes.

Thanks for the quick response though!

Chris