Admin Tool 3.16: Unable to connect while client connects OK

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tri

Admin Tool 3.16: Unable to connect while client connects OK

Post by Tri » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:27 pm

Hi,

We have updated our Vault Server from 3.06 to 3.16 last week. All users have also updated the GUI clients and Admin Tools to 3.16.

It seems like the network settings are now different between Vault GUI Client and Admin Tool. All clients connect OK (before and after Server update). But now some admins can no longer open the Admin Tool 3.16. The error message is:

Unable to connect to https://abc.xyz.net/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: The underlying connection was closed: The remote name could not be resolved.

The proxy setting in VaultAdmin.exe.config is:
<proxy usesystemdefault="true"/>

We have tried several settings with:
<proxy usesystemdefault="false" proxyaddress="ourproxy:80" bypassonlocal="false"/>

but, unfortunately with no success. Can you please help us to diagnose this issue?

Thanks in advance.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:18 am

If the Admin Tool and a Vault GUI Client are on the same client machine, can the GUI Client connect but not the Admin Client? Or are they on different machines?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Tri

Post by Tri » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:30 am

The issue affects 3 admin members. They work at a client site and must use the client http proxy to connect to our Vault Server.

Both GUI client and Admin tool are on the same machine. Both had worked correctly when they were 3.07.

After Server update to 3.16 and they have updated their client and admin tool to 3.16 (both programs installed on the same laptop). The client continues to work OK (for ALL users) but the Admin Tool experiences connection error mentioned above. Either using DNS name or IP address to reach the Vault Server.

One admin reported that he can connect only if he VPN in our network where the Vault Server is located (DNS name or IP address works OK). However, the GUI Client can connect without VPN (using DNS name).

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:45 am

The Admin Client no longer uses the proxy setting in VaultAdmin.exe.config. Instead, it looks at the client settings. For some reason this isn't working for your admins. We need to take a look at the code to see if perhaps a bug was introduced. We'll let you know what we find out.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:39 am

Tri,

Give me an email with your phone number using the button below this post.

Tri

Post by Tri » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:37 am

Please note that the same error occurs after a long waiting time.

On my laptop where the Admin Tool 3.6 works OK. May be because I use direct connection (no proxy). I obliterate some files, Admin Tool takes a while, 15 to 20 minutes (probably IIS time out), and there is a dialog box displaying the same error message than above.

Tri

Post by Tri » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:01 pm

Sorry for not getting back to you since last week. The issue is related to the way Admin Tool uses http proxy. On the same laptop where the error occured, the browser can open https://abc.xyz.net/VaultService (IE or Firefox) and the Vault Client can connect OK too.

I have tried to un-install + re-install Admin Tool 3.15 and 3.16. Edit VaultGUIClient.exe.config and VaultAdmin.exe.config in all possible combinations. Nothing had worked.

The Admin Tool only connects when the http proxy is by-passed.

Tri

Post by Tri » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:04 pm

Server + Client: 3.16

Can you please have another look at this issue? Vault Server doesn't take the network setting from Vault Client (in my case set as "Use manually configured proxy"). It takes the proxy setting from Internet Explorer.

I have changed IE's settings and Admin Tool can no longer connect. If I changed IE proxy settings to match those of Vault Client, then Admin Tool can connect again.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:26 am

Tri,

Try copying the registry keys for the Vault client's proxy setting to the registry key for the Vault Admin tool.

copy Proxy*

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SourceGear\Vault\Client\Settings

to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SourceGear\Vault\Admin\Settings

Tri

Post by Tri » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:25 am

Works perfectly, thank you. All the troubles I mentioned since the begining of this thread are also nicely solved.

Can you please update Vault Admin Tool installer to update these Registry Key? Because when Admin Tool failes to connect, the error message suggests "Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client."

(See complete error message hilighted in red in the very first post).

Tri

Post by Tri » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:44 pm

One more question:

With the change of the registry keys as you suggested above, I assume that the proxy settings for Admin Tool is now separated from the Vault Client GUI?

i.e. if I set the Vault Client GUI to "Do not use a proxy" the Admin Tool still use the proxy settings hard coded in the registry keys.

If so, then can you modify in the next version of Admin tool: either is has its own Network settings option or it should truely get the proxy settings from the Vault Client GUI.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:46 pm

Tri,

We'll get it straightened out.