Proper VS2003 to 2005 conversion procedure ?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

kadorken

Proper VS2003 to 2005 conversion procedure ?

Post by kadorken » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:23 am

I am in the process of upgrading our development projects from VS 2003 to VS 2005 (using Team System 'Demo' version at moment).

I first tried opening the Solution file from the location on my local disk where Vault's working directory is set. The VS 2005 conversion program started its wizard, warned me about the Source Control plug in. I proceeded to finish, and only the .SLN file was successfully converted. All the projects referenced in the .SLN file were not converted because they were write-protected on my disk; they were not automatically checked out of Vault as I expected them to be.

I ended up manually checking out EACH .csproj file for all projects, and RELOADING them one at a time in VS 2005 to run the conversion once on each project within the solution that had been converted.

Should I have simply removed write protect on all the files in my working directory before attempting the conversion ? (I have several more solutions to go...)

dan

Post by dan » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:24 pm

I'll have to get more familiar with MS's conversion tools, but in general, if the conversion tool doesn't check out the file, you'd want to do what you already suggested - make the files writable, let the conversion tool do its thing, then check the Vault GUI client and checkin any project files that were actually changed.

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:18 am

I found the best way is to actually convert from Vault directly. That is, in VS 2005, do "Open from Source Control" and it will convert all the bindings as well.