PluginWebService folder on server is large

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

thomas62j5

PluginWebService folder on server is large

Post by thomas62j5 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:58 pm

Hi,

I have searched the forums and read through the KB and I do see mention of Application Data directories becoming large on clients, but we are seeing this folder grow large on our *server*. The subdirectory in particular is:

C:\Documents and Settings\[OurServerName]\ASPNET\Application Data\SourceGear\Vault_1\PluginWebService

This is on a server with a fairly small C: drive that was not meant for holding data. Ideally we would want data stored on our D: drive. How can we go about changing vault so this data is stored somewhere on D:?

Thanks,
Thomas

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:58 pm

What you are seeing is the cache directory for the Vault Shadow service, which basically behaves as a Vault client process. Since the Shadow Folder is running under the ASPNET account, the cache files are appearing in the ASPNET account's default temp directory.

You can change the path for the cache directory by modifying the Shadow Folder Web.config file in the appsettings section. Uncomment <add key="shadowfolder_cachepath" value="<path>"/>

You should be able to modify the path to use another drive, though we haven't tested this. Do not use a mapped drive. Create a directory for the new shadow folder service cache. Be sure the Machine\ASPNET account has read/write access to the drive and directory for the new cache location.

Then delete your old Shadow Folder configuration in the Vault Admin Tool and reconfigure your Shadow Folder associations.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:59 pm

These instructions are for Vault 3.1.2.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

thomas62j5

Post by thomas62j5 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:31 pm

We have now finally upgraded to Vault 3.1 (3.1.5) so we can try this. However, I am a little confused as to where the web.config file is located that you are referring to.

thomas62j5

Post by thomas62j5 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:51 pm

I found the .config file, and I added the xml tag you specified (it wasn't there at all, uncommented or not, so I added it). I moved the files from the old cache location to the new cache location.

However, is it really necessary to remove the folder configurations in vault admin and redo them? We have quite a few. Isn't it enough just to have moved the cache files from folder to folder? It appears to be working.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:03 pm

If shadow folder are working properly, you shouldn't have to redo the associations in the Admin Tool. The technical term for that is: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Linda Bauer
SourceGear