installation problems

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

thomas62j5

installation problems

Post by thomas62j5 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:36 pm

This is probably the third time I've upgraded the Vault server, and each time it's always many months apart, and I always cringe when I do it because I can never remember which installation method I chose the time before. So my first question is, why can't the Vault upgrade process be easier. I should just be able to run the new installer, it detect the old installation, and proceed accordingly (even offering to backup the sql database before updating it).

My second question is, is there some way I can determine what user choice I made last time I upgraded the server? I can't remember if I chose impersonation, machine user, or my server's admin account.

My third question is, I have now tried all three account types during the upgrade, and each time it gives me an error:

Error parsing C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\config\machine.config
Parser returned error 0xC00CE555

I say OK, and I get several more of these, all with the same message.

(EDIT: Fixed my typo on the folder in the parse error.)
Last edited by thomas62j5 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:48 am

I will add a feature request for the upgrade installer to remember which IIS process you chose previously.

If you look in your vaultservice/web.config file, if you chose a custom account for the IIS process, the impersonate process section will be uncommented and filled in with a valid username and password.

Code: Select all

<identity impersonate="true" userName="domain\user" password="password"/>
If the impersonate section is commented out, you probably chose the default process (ASPNET or NETWORK SERVICE on IIS 6.0) since the "system" configuration is rare. For more information on determining the IIS process model see:

http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/support ... Model.html

As for the error message, what versions of the .NET framework do you have installed on that machine?

The 1.1 framework (or greater) is required for the current versions of Vault. I am not sure why it is trying to access the 1.0 framework settings.

Try repairing the IIS mappings to for the 1.1 framework:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;306005

If that doesnt work, try re-installing the 1.1 framework.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

thomas62j5

Post by thomas62j5 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:27 pm

mskrobul wrote:If the impersonate section is commented out, you probably chose the default process (ASPNET or NETWORK SERVICE on IIS 6.0) since the "system" configuration is rare. For more information on determining the IIS process model see:

http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/support ... Model.html
The impersonate section is commented out, but I have a twist on the above. We run IIS 6, but in IIS 5 isolation mode. So it's not clear what directions to follow.
mskrobul wrote:As for the error message, what versions of the .NET framework do you have installed on that machine?
1.1 and 1.0. We've been using 1.1 for a while now.
mskrobul wrote:The 1.1 framework (or greater) is required for the current versions of Vault. I am not sure why it is trying to access the 1.0 framework settings.

Try repairing the IIS mappings to for the 1.1 framework:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;306005

If that doesnt work, try re-installing the 1.1 framework.
OK I tried the MS support doc for repairing the mappings to 1.1, and that didn't help.

I downloaded and ran the ".NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 for Windows 2003," and then re-ran the upgrade, and I still get the same errors.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:40 am

If you are using IIS 6.0 in 5.0 isolation mode, just choose the default (the NETWORK SERVICE radio button) for IIS process. For installations on IIS 6.0 the installer takes into account that you may be installing on a machine in IIS 5.0 isolation mode and it sets the proper permissions.

At what point during the install do you get the error message? Do you get the error after you installed it and try to connect or during the installation? If it is during the installation at what point during the install do you get the message? Also, if you have a vault_install.log file in your %temp% directory please send it to me. You can use the email button at the bottom of this message to send it to me directly.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

thomas62j5

Post by thomas62j5 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:34 am

mskrobul wrote:At what point during the install do you get the error message? Do you get the error after you installed it and try to connect or during the installation? If it is during the installation at what point during the install do you get the message?
It is during the install. I get to the point where it says installation is ready to begin, click next. So I click next, and you can see it doing things (goes by too fast to see what, but appears files being copied perhaps). The progress bar get to about 90% completed, the window says "0 seconds left" for the install, and then the first dialog pops up with that parse exception. I hit OK, and I get the parse exception several more times. Then it starts doing the SQL setup, and at this point I basically do what I can to cancel the installation, then it appears to roll back after confirming I want to end installation.
mskrobul wrote:Also, if you have a vault_install.log file in your %temp% directory please send it to me. You can use the email button at the bottom of this message to send it to me directly.
OK, I have done so, thanks.

thomas62j5

Update

Post by thomas62j5 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:05 pm

End result: I was able to ignore the parse exceptions, and continue the install to the end, and it seems to have otherwise worked. So far, I have not noticed any issues, even though the parse exceptions do make me worry.

(Side note: I had a typo above where I wrote the folder name in the exception, it was v1.0.3705, NOT v1.0.3075.)