Upgrade Install request

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

GregM

Upgrade Install request

Post by GregM » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:53 am

It would be really nice if the client installer detected an existing client installation and defaulted to that directory instead of always defaulting to %Program Files%. I put all of my development tools and files on my d drive instead of my c drive, and it's a pain to have to change the directory every time I upgrade, on multiple machines.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll log it as a feature request.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

PACEGMBH

Post by PACEGMBH » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:45 pm

It would also be nice if one wouldn't have to enter all information every time one performs an update. An update installer for the server which simply exchanges the new files would be more convinient.

Regards, John

dan

Post by dan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:09 am

Note: We added this for the 3.1.3 release that was sent out yesterday...

GregM

Post by GregM » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:49 pm

The server install still asked for all the usual information when I installed 3.1.5. I haven't installed 3.1.6 yet. Was this done for the server too, or just for the client? I really hate having to look up the password for the Vault user every time.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:33 pm

The 3.1.6 installer still asks for the Admin password. It's a security thing.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

GregM

Post by GregM » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:41 pm

That's not the one I was referring to, I know that one and use it on a regular basis. I meant the one where I need to select the identity used to run the web application.

I can kind of see the need for the admin password to update the database schema, but not for the installer to update the program files. If the user has permission to replace the files, then they can do that with or without the installer.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:29 pm

The Server Installer does (or at least it *should*) remember the last location you installed to (file location and database location) and has for quite a while.
That's not the one I was referring to, I know that one and use it on a regular basis. I meant the one where I need to select the identity used to run the web application.
We do have "remember IIS process for upgrades" logged in our feature request database, but it did not make it into 3.1.6. I will add your vote :)
I can kind of see the need for the admin password to update the database schema, but not for the installer to update the program files. If the user has permission to replace the files, then they can do that with or without the installer.
For most upgrades (pretty much all), the database schema and the server files are dependent on each other. It would be dangerous to upgrade one without the other. For this reason, the installer requires that the database schema and server files are upgraded together.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

GregM

Post by GregM » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:42 pm

Okay, so Dan was only referring to the client install then.

Having to enter the Vault Admin password is fine, that's used on a regular basis. Having to enter the domain account password is rarely used, so I always have to look it up.