Linux client - EOL is wrong

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

James Jeffers

Linux client - EOL is wrong

Post by James Jeffers » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:08 pm

I've noticed that files with the Native EOL option enabled in the Vault client are showing up as something other than native EOL for Linux.

How do I fix this?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:34 am

Could you give us some more details? Are you doing a Get Latest on files with a Unix EOL, but the EOL has changed after the get?

Are you using the Vault GUI Client on Windows or the Vault Command Line Client on Unix?

If you're using the Vault GUI Client, what is the setting under Tools->Options->Local Files->Override Native EOL Type?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

James Jeffers

Post by James Jeffers » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:16 am

The files are all set to EOL Native in the Vault Client in Windows.

When I get lastest from Vault via the Linux/Mono command line client, the files are all of the wrong EOL encoding. How would I check the options for the command line client on Linux?

James Jeffers

Post by James Jeffers » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:17 am

Still need an answer to this issue.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:06 am

We're trying to reproduce the problem here -- haven't been able to so far. We'll post again later today.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

James Jeffers

Post by James Jeffers » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:49 am

To reiterate: How would I check the options for the command line client on Linux?

James Jeffers

Post by James Jeffers » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:32 pm

Ok, I'm seeing the same issue in Solaris clients.

Basically it's making the tools and compiler crabby.

I can see the "^M" eol markers in the files after the client has finished with a "GET" operation. If there is a way to tell the command line client to use EOL Native or Unix, etc, I'd love to know.

Also, are these options documented?

bfinney

Post by bfinney » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:16 pm

Currently there's no way to override the EOL setting in the command line client, but I've logged it and barring something unforseen it will be coming in Vault 3.1.3.

I did some testing here on a Fedora core 4 machine with Mono 1.1.8.3 and could not reproduce this problem. I created 4 flat text files, one for each of the property settings. The Mac terminated file showed up with the ^M characters you mention, but the native file was properly converted to unix terminators.

I'm going to keep poking at this for a while, but could you test what you see if you change one of the files to have Mac EOLs? It's as if mono is mis-identifying the OS...
Brody Finney
SourceGear QA Thug
"I break things for a living"

bfinney

Post by bfinney » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:19 pm

Hmmm... with some more fooling around, I am now seeing some files (but not all) with Native conversion being written with Windows terminators on my Fedora machine. I'm don't really have a clue about what's going wrong, but at least I'm now seeing the same problem. This warrants much deeper digging, which we'll do.
Brody Finney
SourceGear QA Thug

James Jeffers

Post by James Jeffers » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:48 am

Thanks!

One work around seems to be this: force the files to Unix EOL as a default, and allow the Windows specific files, like .dsp or .dsw, etc, to be Windows EOL. Obivously, this work for us because we have Solaris and Linux as platforms to support. Can't imagine what we'd do if we had to support Mac as well.

bfinney

Post by bfinney » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:27 am

OK, I'm getting somewhere, which leads me to two more questions for you:

1. Are the problem files all at version 1? If not, have they ever been edited on Windows, or only on linux?

2. In addition to Solaris, which linux release are you using? Most of my testing has been of Fedora core 4.
Brody Finney
SourceGear QA Thug

James Jeffers

Post by James Jeffers » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:32 am

1. The files are greater than version 1.

HOWEVER,

I did notive that all the files were probably created on Windows and checked ion that way.

I've managed to go back and force Unix EOL for those files in the file properties. Visual Studio seems to handle this just fine, so until 3.1.3, I think we'll be ok.

2. We are using RHEL3. The mono install came from the Mono website's provided rpms. (The Solaris clients are all running on a source install.)