VS 2005 Team clears Working Folder Settings

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

jmarsch

VS 2005 Team clears Working Folder Settings

Post by jmarsch » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:43 pm

I am using VS 2005 Beta 2 and Vault 3.0.7. I have a repeating problem where the working folder setting in vault gets cleared (set to blank). Is this a known bug? Is there a work-around?

dan

Post by dan » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:58 pm

We've had sporadic reports of this with VS 2005, but have not been able to reproduce it in-house.

Can you describe what happens when you see this? (e.g., how VS responds, and how you know the working folder is unset or changed)

Also, if you can send a sequence of steps that reproduce it, that would help a lot too.

jmarsch

Post by jmarsch » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:48 pm

I wish that I had a good series of repro steps -- I will try to see if I can come up with a pattern.

What I can tell you is that it happens to me very often (several times a day).

I am working with a solution that contains a C# ASP.net project, and several c# class library projects. I have project references from the ASP.Net project to the class library projects.

I would not be suprised a bit if the issue has something to do with web projects, as there are some known bugs with web projects and source control.

Symptoms: I usually know that I'm in trouble when VS thinks that it needs to add a whole bunch of files to source control (where I know that the files really already exist).

Another symptom. I might get an error attempting to do a check-in, get latest, or check out of a file. Usually the error says something like "your source control tool has encountered an error, restart the application as soon as possible".

Another symptom: My "pending checkins" window shows that I need to check in all of the files in the solution.

I'm afraid that I can't tell you all of the items that occur every time. I'll try to pay more attention. The fact of the matter is that the situation has become so commonplace, that I'm constantly closing VS 2005, opening the Vault client, setting the working folder, closing vault, re-opening vs, lather-rinse-repeat. It happens so much that I haven't paid as much attention to the symptoms lately.

I will try to be more observant and post information to this thread as I find it. I will stress that my gut says that it has something to do with web projects.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:30 am

It wouldn't surprise me if it were related to web projects, since they are handled differently from other projects.

I would guess this is a Visual Studio issue, since we don't change the working folder except when asked to by VS. However, there may be a workaround if we can repro it here, so let us know if you find anything.

Thanks