An exception was encountered during the transaction

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tri

An exception was encountered during the transaction

Post by Tri » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:47 pm

Hi,

Can you please help diagnosing the following error.

Client + Server 3.07.

We have a main folder which is shared in two other projects. This make 3 shared folders in total. Lets call them MainShared, Shared1, Shared2.

- We don't know what and when something has gone wrong but since this morning, any change made within Shared2 folder always end up with a runtime error (detailed error msg is listed at the end of this post). The change operation means: add, delete, check in a local modified file. We can't even delete the Shared2 folder. The error msg is identical for all failed operations.

- The only operations we can do on Shared2 is check out and undo check out.

- Change operations work OK on MainShared and Shared1.

- Check out, undo check out made on any Shared folder is correctly reflected in other shared folders.

- New files added in MainShared or Shared1 are not visible in the troubled Shared2.

Here is the error msg when changed is attempted in Shared2:

In the Message pane of Vault client 3.07:

Code: Select all

[24/08/2005 5:31:09 PM] Preparing data to begin transaction
[24/08/2005 5:31:09 PM] Beginning transaction
[24/08/2005 5:31:10 PM] Server unavailable for transaction begin
[24/08/2005 5:31:10 PM] Transaction failed
[24/08/2005 5:31:10 PM] An exception was encountered during the transaction.  Exception: Server was unable to process request. --> Error in the application.   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at VaultClientNetLib.ClientService.VaultService.BeginTx(Int32 nRepID, String strComment, VaultRequestItem[]& requests, String& strTxID)
   at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.BeginTx(Int32 nRepID, VaultRequestItem[]& requests, String& strTxID, String comment)
   at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Commit(ChangeSetItemColl givenItems, Boolean keepCheckedOut, Boolean removeLocalCopy, Boolean bIsImport, DateTime dateImport, Int32 nUserIDImport, Int64& nRevID)
In sgvault.log Vault Server 3.07

----8/24/2005 5:29:41 PM     myVaultAccountName--216.13.67.65(216.13.67.65)--SSL Enabled	Critical Error! Error in the application.
   at VaultServiceBase.VaultRepository.CreateFolderReferenceCopy(HybridDictionary hdNewRefParents, VaultFolders vfOwners, VaultFolder vfOld)
   at VaultServiceBase.VaultRepository.GetReferenceCopiesByPath(HybridDictionary hdNewRefParents, String strAbsolutePath, Boolean bRefCopyLastObjectWithAllFolders, VaultFSObjects& fsoList, Int32& nPinCount)
   at VaultServiceAPILib.VaultTransactionContainer.GetReferenceCopiesByPath(String strAbsolutePath, VaultFSObjects& fsoList, Int32& nPinCount)
   at VaultServiceAPILib.VaultTransaction.PreCheckCheckIn(Int32 nCurrStatCode, VaultRequestCheckIn vrci, String strFileToken, VaultResponseCheckIn vRespCheckIn, VaultTransactionContainer txContainer)
   at VaultServiceAPILib.VaultServiceAPI.BeginTx(HttpApplicationState theApp, VaultLoginInfo vliLoggedInUser, Int32 nTxUserID, Int32 nRepID, DateTime dtBeginTx, String strComment, VaultRequestItem[]& requests, String& strTxID, VaultIntTx& vit)
   at VaultService.VaultService.DoBeginTx(HttpApplicationState has, HttpSessionState hss, VaultLoginInfo vli, String strCallerLogEvt, Int32 nTxUserID, Int32 nRepID, DateTime dtBeginTx, String strComment, VaultRequestItem[]& requests, String& strTxID) 
Question: How to delete Shared2? We would like to re-create the Shared2 folder to put it back in sync.

Thank you very much in advance.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:55 pm

Try restarting IIS.

Similar problems have been reported and a reset fixed them:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4279
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Tri

Post by Tri » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:55 pm

IIS Restart solve the issue. Thanks.

However there is still something strange in the troubled Shared2 folder.

Each time a file is checked in, the same file appears 4 times in the Check in dialog window. 3 first items with type "Add file" and the last item which is the real check in (Detail = +xxx bytes, Modified). If all checkboxes are ticked then there is a transaction error. Only the last item must be checked.

On the other shared folders, the check in dialog box doesn't show wrong duplicated entries as above.

I could successfully delete the Shared2 folder. But when I recreate it from MainShared, I got:

24/08/2005 6:45:33 PM] Server unavailable for transaction end
[24/08/2005 6:45:33 PM] An exception was encountered during the transaction. Exception: Exception of type System.Exception was thrown. at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Commit(ChangeSetItemColl givenItems, Boolean keepCheckedOut, Boolean removeLocalCopy, Boolean bIsImport, DateTime dateImport, Int32 nUserIDImport, Int64& nRevID)
[24/08/2005 6:45:33 PM] Transaction failed

I guess I must restart IIS again to solve this. What worry me is that I wish to avoid to restart IIS.

According to the link you provided, the issue seems to occur since March 2005. But this is the first time we experience this kind of error.

What is the cause of the issue? Hopefully this will help us to know how to avoid to repeat the scenario.

kasti

Post by kasti » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:49 am

Hi,

For you recreation problem: I had problems like this in the past. If you cant recreate shared2, then just create it as another name and then rename it to shared2. This always worked for me.

Ciao,
Herbert.

Tri

Post by Tri » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:10 am

I had a few troubles to get rid of this Shared2 folder. Don't remember exactly the sequence of actions but this includes: IISreset, deleting CacheMember_xxx files on my own computer, deleting Shared2 and recreate it. Finally it seems to work properly.

I am wondering if the cause could possibly be that Shared2 was created as a shared folder from Shared1 (which itself is a shared of MainShared). May be Shared2 should have been created from MainShared. Does it make any difference?

Tri

Post by Tri » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:28 am

Tri wrote:I am wondering if the cause could possibly be that Shared2 was created as a shared folder from Shared1 (which itself is a shared of MainShared). May be Shared2 should have been created from MainShared. Does it make any difference?
Just had confirmation from the user who created the shraded folders 3 weeks ago. Shared1 and Shared2 were created from MainShared folder.

Seems like it is hard to get away from the corrupted shared2 folder I mentioned. It has been deleted and recreated. And is now working OK.

Using Vault admin tool, an attempt to obliterated this folder immediately return an error message Unable to obliterate objects A Database error has occured (FailDBReader)

The sgvault.log on the server shows:

----8/25/2005 11:17:10 AM    UserX--216.13.67.56(216.13.67.56)--SSL Enabled	Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'folderobjverid', table '@@queue'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails. The statement has been terminated. 
----8/25/2005 11:17:10 AM    UserX--216.13.67.56(216.13.67.56)--SSL Enabled	BeginTx returned:  FailDBReader 
----8/25/2005 11:17:10 AM    UserX--216.13.67.56(216.13.67.56)--SSL Enabled	VaultLib.VaultRequestObliterate returned: FailDBReader
Although it is not so critical now, but I would like to get rid of these inconsistencies. Could it be cleaned up with a SQL statements?

Thanks in advance.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:22 pm

I guess I must restart IIS again to solve this. What worry me is that I wish to avoid to restart IIS.

According to the link you provided, the issue seems to occur since March 2005. But this is the first time we experience this kind of error.

What is the cause of the issue? Hopefully this will help us to know how to avoid to repeat the scenario.
We'd suggest you upgrade to Vault 3.1.1. We made some changes that should prevent this problem from happening.

We're still looking at the share issue.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager