Obliterate

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Brody

Obliterate

Post by Brody » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:44 pm

I am having some difficulty running obliterate.

I realise that it requires some time to check all those branches and whatnot - but it takes too long and things timeout or fail.

I was wondering if it would be possible to wrap all that obliterate control stuff into an application that directly interacts with the vault database on the SQL server (rather than via a web service) so IIS timeouts and things could be avoided.

That way I could start massive obliterates running overnight.

Also a restartable process would be cool too - so we can stop and start it as required.

Also the orphaning of deleted items worries me as once they are orpaned it seems impossible to obilterate them and thus things they were branched from.
Could we get some tool to detect and repair that issue (if it exists).

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 am

Brody,

Generally speaking, there are some changes planned for Vault 4.0 with respect to obliterate, and we will consider your suggestions here.

More specifically, there are a couple of things you can do:

1) Upgrade to 3.1.1. The issue with orphaning secondarily deleted items was fixed in 3.1.

2) Increase the IIS connction timeout (it sounds like you're already familiar with this, but I'll list it just in case)

3) Use the command-line client to obliterate. This still uses the web service so IIS timeouts are still part of the picture, but it will let you skip the step where Vault lists all the items to be obliterated.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

Brody

Obliterate (improved but problems still)

Post by Brody » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:46 pm

Wow,

The 3.1.1 update has certainly improved Obliteration.

Although now it appears I cannot obliterate a shared file. I try and I get the standard Unable to Obliterate - All branches of an item must be obliterated message - but there are no branches listed.

Any ideas?

*EDIT* It seems that some shared files can be Obliterated so that may be a red herring - but the lack of a list of branches makes it real hard to figure out how to fix.

*EDIT AGAIN* I just found another post relating to this and a series of actions to try - so I'll get started on this now