Email Settings error after upgrade from 3.0.7 to 3.1.1

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

jaf1348

Email Settings error after upgrade from 3.0.7 to 3.1.1

Post by jaf1348 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:21 pm

After upgrading Vault server from 3.0.7 to 3.1.1, I no longer received notification emails when changes were made in a repository. When I went to the Vault Admin Tool to investigate, I was unable to open the Email Settings dialog from the Server Options tab. This is a Windows 2000 server running MSDE 2000. The error I got after clicking the "Email Settings..." button was:
************** Exception Text **************
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: 1 : Failure
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at VaultClientNetLib.AdminService.VaultAdminService.ListServerEmailOptions(VaultServerEmailOptions& vOptions)
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.ListServerEmailOptions(VaultServerEmailOptions& vOptions)
at VaultAdmin.FormEmailOptions..ctor(AdminManager am)
at VaultAdmin.FormMain.buttonEmailOptions_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

After some poking around, I found that the problem was with the <SMTPAuthPassWord> node in the Vault.config file. After I deleted the vaule of this node, I was able to get into the Email Settings dialog and make my changes. I'm guessing that the Vault Admin Tool was unable to decrypt the saved password and so it bailed (ungracefully :wink: ).

I just wanted to post this in case anybody else had this problem and so the folks at SourceGear might be able to fix this in a future release. Other than this minor bug, I have to say that Vault is awesome! Keep up the good work.

kasti

Post by kasti » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:36 am

Yeah, had the same problem.

Ciao,
Herbert.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:38 am

Thanks for the reports - we'll take a look at it

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:26 pm

We have been unable to reproduce the problem in house by upgrading from 3.0.x to 3.1.1.

Just a few questions to help us reproduce the error here...

What version of the .NET framework is running on the Server machine? Was the version of the framework changed with the upgrade?
I'm guessing that the Vault Admin Tool was unable to decrypt the saved password and so it bailed (ungracefully ).
You are correct, this error probably occured because the server couldn't decrypt the password. Were there any errors logged to the server log file when you got the crash (like "bad data" or "unable to decrypt")?

If the machine key changed for some reason or the Crypto Key value (HKLM/Software/Sourcegear/Vault Server) in the registry changed the server would not be able to decrypt the smtppassword value. The upgrade installer does not change the value Crypto Key value, but this value would change if you re-installed.

When you upgraded, did you run the upgrade installer or did you uninstall first then re-install (you would get this error if you re-installed and kept the old vault.config file)?
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

kasti

Post by kasti » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:46 am

Here is the error in the server log:

----10.08.2005 14:39:22 --()-- A configuration error occurred reading [SMTPAuthPassWord] from vault.config. ConfigReader reported the following exception: Bad Data.

For me it happened after upgrading from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1. However, I also had some beta versions of 3.1.0 and 3.1.1 so I had to uninstall since upgrades from beta to finals are not possible. I never copied the vault.config back though after an uninstall/install. I can however not say when it happened exactly since we only noticed the problem late. I also seem to remember that I did a repair of 3.1.1 beta to get to 3.1.1 (stupid idea, i know :-) ). Maybe that caused it....

.NET Framework is 1.1 on the server, and was never changed.

Bye,
Herbert.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:42 am

I also seem to remember that I did a repair of 3.1.1 beta to get to 3.1.1 (stupid idea, i know ). Maybe that caused it....

Yes, that would have caused it. Doing a repair creates a new crypto key which would cause the server to be unable to decrypt the password.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

jaf1348

Post by jaf1348 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:29 am

mskrobul wrote:What version of the .NET framework is running on the Server machine? Was the version of the framework changed with the upgrade?
v1.1.4322
No, it wasn't changed.
mskrobul wrote:When you upgraded, did you run the upgrade installer or did you uninstall first then re-install (you would get this error if you re-installed and kept the old vault.config file)?
That must be it. I didn't uninstall/install to do the upgrade, but I did do so after upgrading. The old Vault.config file must've stuck around after the uninstall.

Can we expect to see this sort of problem handled better in future versions? A popup saying "your Vault.config file is corrupt, most likely because..." would've been better than the Admin Tool crashing. In any event, thanks for the info.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:34 am

Yes...there will be a more helpful error message in the next version of Vault (as opposed to a crash).
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear