Got a file not in history

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Billy

Post by Billy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:10 pm

I am using Vault 3.07 client and server. I have been using it for 2 months. It works fine until today I have a very subtle problem. I have one file in my project the history of it shows only version 1. The main screen also shows version 1. But when I Get latest, it gives me a different version of the file!! This "new" version was what I checked in before but somehow it never shows up in the history and on the main view. When I view the file in Vault (double click) it shows me version 1. But when I checkout the file, it give me the "new" version! What is wrong and how do I fix it? It looks like some kind of corruption but I hopt not..... :(

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:42 pm

That is strange.

Are you using the Vault GUI Client or integration with VS.NET?

How can you tell the "new" version is different? Are the contents different or is the version number different in the GUI client after you've checked it out?

After checkout, diff the "new" file in your working directory with the file in the database. What do you see in Show Differences?

Maybe some screenshots would help?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Billy

Post by Billy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:50 pm

I'm using the GUI client. I looked at the "new" copy in my working folder with my eyes and compare with the copy (version 1) in Vault using the GUI client. They are obviously different in their content. Another clue may help is if I Get latest to a folder other than the working folder then I get version 1 (the copy that is showing in Vault).

I saw some posts in the forum about clearing the cache (CacheMember_CheckOutList), I want to try that but not sure it is safe to do it and any fixup required after.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:31 pm

Billy:

I wouldn't do that just yet. Is the file shared or within any folder which is shared?

If so, you may want to try this:

1) Show properties on the parent folder of the file
2) If that succeeds, delete the file.
3) Show properties on the parent folder and now undelete the file.

What version is now showing for the file?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:32 am

The file is not shared and not within any folder that is shared.

I tried another pc and Get Latest and Checkout now give me version 1, which is consistant w the history.

I still think the cache of the original pc get messed up somehow. Please let me know when and how I can clear it. I need to resolve this problem soon.

Thanks for help.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:38 am

Try this:

1) Shut down all instances of Vault client, VS.Net, etc.
2) Remove the files CacheMember_Repository and CacheMember_LastStructureGetTime found in %APPDATA%\SourceGear\Vault_1\Client
3) Restart the Vault client.

Does the file now have correct information?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:55 am

No, same thing... :( :x :cry:

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:06 am

What is the status of the file in the Vault Client list? Is it Needs Merged? That could explain the behavior you are seeing. It could be edited file was never checked in because there was a conflict.

What happens if you delete the file in your working directory and do another "get latest?"
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:23 pm

The status on the main window is blank (normal). I always delete the local copy before I get latest or checkout. That is the only way to make sure.

I've just reinstalled the GUI client and deleted everything under %APPDATA%\SourceGear. Things are now back to normal. The file does not give me problem any more.

I should have followed your troubleshooting paths so you may track what was wrong but I am pressing for time so I must use my own ways. I still like this product but this "weird" thing reduces my confidence a little. Thanks for your support anyways. Your support is one of the best. :)