Unable to Label Files in Vault

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

BA

Unable to Label Files in Vault

Post by BA » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:12 pm

A) I am trying to label files in a project using VBP with the next available number and am getting below error:

<vault>
<error>
$/System/Service/CreditAgencySimulation/V01 has inherited the label V01.000.0006 already
</error>
<exception>
System.Exception: $/System/Service/CreditAgencySimulation/V01 has inherited the label V01.000.0006 already
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.ProcessCommandLabel(String strReposPath, String labelName, Int64 versionID)
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.ProcessCommand(Args curArg)
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.Main(String[] args)
</exception>
<result success="no" />
</vault>

** opening label history does not show label 6 as being used.

B) Applying the same label to directly $/System/Service/CreditAgencySimulation/V01 in Vault generates below error:
"A label with the same name has already been applied to $/System/Service/HPS/V01, which prohibits this object from being labeled the same.

$/System/Service/CreditAgencySimulation/V01 and $/System/Service/HPS/V01 are 2 separate projects in different hives in the Vault structure.

What would be causing this error?

Thanks

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:52 pm

One thing to watch out for is the possibility that the label was applied to another instance of a shared item. For example

$/blah/sharedfile.txt
$/blah2/sharedfile.txt

if you label blah with "6" and then increment the version number of sharedfile.txt, you won't be able to label $/blah2 with the label "6", because that would mean that two different versions of sharedfile.txt would have the same label. Vault does not allow this.

Is that the case here?

BA

Post by BA » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:59 pm

Just checked the label history of a single file within the project on issue, ie CreditSimulation, it shows history that includes paths from CreditSimulation as well as older ones within the HPS project. Although if I search for the same file within the HPS project, it does not exist.

How can I break this dependence between the 2 projects. Files are not shared at all.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:13 pm

I think that screenshots of the history dialog for this file would help me understand what is going on here.

Has the file been moved? Was it labeled in the old place?

A tangent: my personal policy is that label names should include something descriptive of what they are for, so version 3.0.7 of Vault is labeled "Vault 3.0.7", so that there will be no conflicts when we label 3.0.7 of another project that shares files with Vault.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:13 pm

That being said, if you want, you can rename the old conflicting label in the Show Labels dialog.