Error importing labels from VSS to Vault

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Justin Spindler

Error importing labels from VSS to Vault

Post by Justin Spindler » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:33 pm

I am getting errors importing labels from VSS into Vault. I spent the last four days with Microsoft cleaning up this database and analyze -v4 finds no errors or inconsistencies. I am currently just testing the import process on small libraries in the VSS database. I have attached the log file.

I noticed that the bulk of the failures are of the error message, "You do not have permission to perform the operation." I am running the import process as a member of the Administrators group of the server. The source is a copy of the SourceSafe directory on which I have provided Everyone with Full Control access.

There is also the error message, "SourceSafe was unable to finish writing a file. Check your available disk space, and ask the administrator to analyze your SourceSafe database." However, as stated, the VSS database comes back clean. Also, the server has more than 10 GB of working storage on the OS partition, and 300 GB on the data partition.
Attachments
import.txt
Log from import
(40.77 KiB) Downloaded 423 times

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:47 pm

You've reported two errors, "SourceSafe was unable to finish writing a file..." usually means that there is no temp directory in the SourceSafe directory. You need to create one underneath the directory that has the srcsafe.ini.

"You do not have permission to perform the operation." is related to the import. The user who created the label in VSS had permission at the time in VSS history, but doesn't anymore. In Vault, when the import tries to create the label, it uses the current permissions from VSS. I have a workaround, so please email me using the button below this post, and I'll provide you with an import tool that can reimport the labels without reimporting all of the file data.